This Beef and Shrimp Quesadilla is just super fantastic. It’s loaded locked and ready. Quesadilla is a very well-known and popular Mexican dish. It can be done in any style, hence why it is so versatile. Whether you are vegan, gluten-free, pescatarian, vegetarian, or whatever the case maybe there will be a quesadilla out there for you.
What is Quesadilla
Quesadilla is pronounced kei-sa-dee-uh, It is a Mexican tortilla dish that is primarily filled with Mexican cheese. Sometimes meat is added, Mexican spices, and other fillings. It is heated in a skillet or on a griddle to melt the cheese. It is then served with salsa or guacamole.
Loaded Beef and Shrimp Quesadilla
I decided to do a Beef and shrimp quesadilla because I wanted it loaded. Stuffed with cheese, meat, and veggies and it was perfection. Loved every bit of it. Is it an authentic style quesadilla? No, but it was fantastic and Mexican brothers and sisters won’t mind.
I used Argentinian prawns for the shrimp and ground beef 80/20.
What is the best cheese for Quesadilla?
Traditionally, Mexicans never use cheddar for the quesadilla. The cheeses that are used are good quality Oaxaca cheese, Chihuahua cheese, Asadero cheese, Manchego cheese and sometimes Mozzarella.
The different types of cheese give the quesadilla a distinct type of taste and flavor.
How to make Quesadilla
Cooking Method: Choose skillet or griddle. NO Microwave.
Tortilla: The tortilla that is traditionally used is the corn tortilla. You can use flour or corn on either one. Add that to the griddle until your tortilla is pliable.
Cheese: Select the cheese or cheeses that you will use (Mexican Blend) and add it. Add much cheese as you want. This was is should be loaded.
Filling: You can add different colors of bell peppers it makes it look better. I only added onions, bell peppers, and diced tomatoes. If you’re doing any kind of meat just make sure to cook the meat and veggies together first. Then add them to the tortilla.
Stack or Fold: Stack the tortilla with cheese and the rest of the filling inside of it then cut into triangles. If you’re folding, fold the tortilla over the cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is golden.
Substitutions for the Beef and Shrimp Quesadilla
Gluten sensitivity: Purchase gluten-free tortilla.
Keto: Sub for keto wraps.
Vegetarians: Sub meat/seafood with black beans, corn, avocados, or mushrooms. You can’t go wrong.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME RECIPES FROM US
Beef and Shrimp Quesadilla
- 2 tortillas
- 1 cup or 8 oz ground beef cut into pieces
- 6-8 pieces jumbo shrimp
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup bell peppers different colors
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup mexican taco cheese add more cheese to your liking
- 1 tbsp oil
Seasoning for the Beef
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- or 1 Packet taco seasoning You can buy the taco season mix to make it easier and add more paprika and cayenne if you like spicy, also make sure to add salt and pepper to taste
Seasoning for the Shrimp
- 1 tsp season salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Preparing the beef:
- In a bowl, add ground beef and the seasoning mix (paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne, garlic, onion powder, and cumin) or taco season. Set aside.
Preparing the shrimp:
- In a bowl, season diced shrimp with season salt and black pepper. Set aside
- In a skillet on medium to high heat add oil. Then add seasoned beef and stir. Cook until the beef becomes brown, then add diced onions and cook until slightly translucent.
- Add seasoned shrimp and cook. If your shrimp is frozen cooked shrimp, the cooking time will be shorter. After the shrimp is cook stir in diced bell peppers and tomatoes.
Making the quesadilla with folding method
- In a non-stick pan add tortilla. Note: you do not need to add oil unless your pan is non-stick. *Optional. On one half of the tortilla add 1/2 of the cheese, add a portion of the beef shrimp mix and cover with cheese (Be generous if you like it extra cheesy).
- Fold the tortilla and allow the cheese to melt. Flip when the side is brown. Repeat the process with the remaining tortilla. See video for the process.
- Cut the quesadillas in half or quarter and serve as you desire.