This Jamaican Brown Stew Mutton recipe is just too amazing! The flavours of the goat with the authentic Caribbean seasoning just brings back good memories. Then the potatoes and carrots just add that texture and complete the taste.
There are many ways to cook a goat but this method is one of the best. You can definitely use the same method to cook your stew beef, believe me, it’s gonna be just as good. I know that many people do not like the smell and taste of goat or lamb meat. So if you are looking for another alternative, then beef is perfectly fine.
Tip: Washing meat with vinegar, lime, or lemon will help to get rid of that smell and strong taste.
I honestly believe that we add carrot and potatoes to many of our dishes because the meat is expensive and I think that adding veggies will stretch the food and give a thicker and more delicious gravy consistency. (laughing out loud) So everyone can have more food. Believe me when I say that in a Jamaican household one-pot feed the whole community food for Mr. John Brown, Peter, and Paul. I remember when my neighbours use to feed me. I won’t refuse a plate of stew chicken and rice no matter if I only got one piece of meat and the rest is gravy. Gravy is life! I can eat a whole plate of rice with just the gravy because the food is that nice. That’s Jamaican life! Either way, it is delicious and these 2 pounds gave me 6 perfect servings, food for days.
You can pair this Jamaican Brown Stew Mutton with anything you desire but it goes perfectly with our Jamaican Rice and Peas. (Pictured Below)
Jamaican Brown Stew Mutton
- 2 lbs Goat Meat of Mutton cut into chunky pieces
- 2 tbsp Browning or Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Meat Seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 stalk Scallion mined
- 2 sprig Thyme
- 10 whole Pimento or All Spice
- 1/2 oz Cooking Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 medium Potato medium dice
- 1 medium Carrot medium dice
- Cut the goat meat into medium chunky pieces.
- Wash meat with vinegar/lime or lemon and rinse it thoroughly.
- Add your choice of meat seasoning, salt, black pepper, browning/soy sauce, 1 clove minced garlic. (This is optional but you can marinate your meat for a 1hr)
- In a wide saute pan or your pot of choice add cooking oil to medium-high heat. Then after the oil is hot add half of the goat meat to the hot pan, stir the meat for a minute then add the next half. This should be sizzling hot thus causing each side to brown a bit.
- After browning the meat add 3 cups of water to the pot, stir and cover the pot. Cook under medium heat. (Optional: for a quicker process you can use a presser cooker using the same method)
- Continue to add water if the water dries out. Do not pour too much water at a time.
- Cook for 1hr 15minutes or until the meat is tender to your liking.
- Add Potatoes and let it cook for 5 minutes then add carrot and seasoning and simmer.
- Browning is the meat is the process of darkening the meat so please do not burn meat.
- Soy Sauce can be used but it is best to use the browning sauce.
- Adding the carrots too early can cause the meat to taste sweet.