Poke bowls are delicious, filling, and exciting. Why it exciting? because its fun building your bowl the way you like it. “Spicy or Not to Spicy?”, can’t wait for you guys to try it.
Poke which is pronounced (Po-Kay) is a Hawaiian dish made up of a base which is usually rice, sushi-grade salmon or tuna cut into cubes topped off with seaweed, edamame, avocado, etc. The word Poke means “cut or slice”.
Poke Bowls are so easy to make and became quite trendy on Instagram for a while now. The good thing about this dish is the versatility. You can create this Spicy Tuna Poke Bowl however you like. You can make it vegan, vegetarian, or gluten-free. The choice is yours.
Some people use brown rice instead of white rice. Some prefer zucchini noodles or squash noodles for even a healthier option. A great option for raw vegans.
If you don’t like spicy tuna, you could just add a sweet paste or sauce. That’s if you like your tuna sweet.
Spicy Mayo can be a sub for soy sauce or coconut aminos. Make sure to use low-sodium soy sauce or Sushi & Sashimi Soy Sauce. You will thank me later.
If you decide on making this dish make sure that your tuna or salmon is sashmi-grade. Eating raw and undercook food may cause foodborne illnesses. We don’t want anyone getting sick.
Dress your bowl however you like. Edamame, crab salad, pickled cucumbers, radishes, wonton chips. YOU NAME IT!
Check out Dakgangjeong Korean Fried Chicken
Spicy Tuna Poke Bowl
- Cutting Board
- 1 pound fresh tuna sashimi grade cut into cubes
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice (room temperature)
- ½ cup avocado
- ¼ cup cucumber
- 1 stalk scallion/green onions
- ½ tsp toasted white Sesame seed
- ½ tsp toasted black Sesame seed
- ¼ tsp Japanese seven-spice shichimi togarashi seasoning
Spicy Mayo Sauce
- 4 tbsp mayo
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- ½ tsp sesame seed oil
Making the sauce
- Combine mayo, sriracha, sesame seed oil, and mix together to make a chili mayo sauce.
- Cut the tuna in cubes and then add it to a bowl. Combine scallion/green onions, Japanese seven spice, and white and black sesame seeds and mix together.
- Add chili mayo sauce and combine together using a spoon.
Making the bowl
- Cut avocado into cubes; cucumber into circles; cut jalapenos into circles
- Place 2 cups of room temperature rice in a bowl add tuna one side and place avocado, cumber, and jalapenos around the bowl. You can decorate the bowl how you like it.