Jerk! Jerk! Jerk! Jerk! Say mi affi Jerk! Jerk! Jerk! Jerk!!! If you don’t keep up with Rhianna you don’t have a clue what I am talking about.
The word “jerk” came from the Spanish word ‘charqui’ which originates from the root word “jerky” meaning “dried meat”.
Jerking is one of Jamaica’s most favorite methods of cooking. Passed down from our piano ancestors. This method/style of cooking has passed from many generations and has been enjoyed by many people around the world.
- Whenever using Jerk Sauce use sparingly because it is very strong and flavourful.
- Marinate meat overnight for the best tasting results.
- I Understand that most may not have access to certain products. You can use alternative rubs, may not be the same but you will have to make due.
- You can use the dripping from the pan to add to the BBQ sauce for flavor.
Using a rack will help the chicken to smoke. This happens with the dripping drops onto the pan thus causing smoke. You want the chicken to have that smoking flare. Along with that, the rack allows it to not overcome with moisture.
This BBQ sauce is the bomb!!!! I love it because of the spices I put in there. I love the cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey flavor. splendid!!! If you prefer you could use a store-bought BBQ sauce if you prefer.
Adjust the saw to your liking as you go.
Easy Jamaican Jerk BBQ Chicken
- Baking Rack
- Baking Pan
- 8 Pieces of chicken
- Jerk Sauce Not dry rub
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp wet Jerk Sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup honey or brown sugar
- 3 tsp Apple Cider Vinger
- In a bowl add the Jerk Sauce, salt, and peppa to the chicken and massage it thoroughly. You can marinate the chicken for a few hours if you prefer.
- Place chicken on a rack and place the rack on a baking sheet. You will want the baking sheet to capture the moisture that comes from the chicken.
- (What you are trying to do here is replicate pan jerk chicken)
- Place in the oven under 350 degrees for 40 minutes. 20 minutes on each side. Or until done.
- The timing of your chicken depends on the size of them.
- While the chicken is in the oven. Make the sauce.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients and mix together. Adjust the saw to your liking as you go.
- 5 minutes before the chicken is done, base each side of the chicken with the jerk BBQ sauce.