Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken and Shrimp. I tried to make this authentic as I could. This is the perfect meal for lunch or dinner.
Sweet and Sour Recipe
What can I say about this Sweet and Sour Chicken and Shrimp recipe other than the fact that it’s delicious? Sweet and Sour can be found at pretty much any Chinese restaurant. One of the most popular Chinese dishes for dine-in or take-out. Well, now you have the opportunity to make this Sweet and Sour Chicken and Shrimp at home.
It was my first time making it and I nailed it. If you have any questions about the recipe just comment down below I’ll be happy to help you.
Chicken and Shrimp
I used jumbo shrimp and chicken thighs to make this recipe. Jumbo shrimps are juicier and the chicken thighs are more flavorful.
How do you make Sweet and Sour Chicken and Shrimp?
You do not have to use a batter and fry the chicken and shrimp for this recipe, however, I did. It adds crunchiness and more flavor. You can skip this step and saute the shrimp and chicken then add the bell peppers, onion, and the rest of the seasoning. Then add the sweet and sour sauce.
If you are going to fry the shrimp and chicken. Make sure to season your chicken and shrimp first. Let that marinate while you make the batter.
I dip them in cornstarch first then the eggs and milk mixture and stir in, the mixture will be wet. I do not season my flour since the chicken and shrimp will be cooked in a sauce.
Add them to the fryer or frying pot. Do not overcrowd the pot. Add a few at a time.
Add oil and bell peppers, onion, etc to the pot, cook, then add sauce mixture, cook until the sauce is formed, and then add shrimp, chicken, and mix everything in.
Ingredients in a sweet and sour sauce
Making the sauce is not hard. If you just wanted to make the sauce only. You heat a skillet of saucepot on medium heat and sautee the onions, green onions, garlic, and ginger until the onions are translucent. Then add the rest of the ingredients except for the corn starch. Leave that for last. When the sauce is formed add cornstarch to thicken it.
I honestly hate cornstarch so I didn’t use any in mine.
- Pineapple Juice
- Brown Sugar
- Rice Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- garlic (minced)
- onion (minced)
- green onion (minced)
- ginger (minced)
CHECK OUT THSE AWESOME RECIPES FROM US
Sweet and Sour Chicken and Shrimp
- 6 pieces of shrimp
- 2 pieces of boneless chicken thighs cut in chunks
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 onions cut chunky
- 1/2 Bell pepper cut chunky
- 1/2 cup ***Pineapple chunks optional
- Oil for frying
- Sesame seed to garnish
- Scallion chopped to garnish
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice preferably from the can
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp water
Start by creating the sweet and sour sauce
- In a saucepan add pineapple juice, brown sugar, rice vinegar, ketchup and soy sauce on medium heat.
- Stir until it comes to a boil.
- Mix the 1/2 tsp cornstarch with 1 tsp water in a small bowl then add it to the saucepan and mix well until cornstarch dissolves and blends in the sauce. Within a few seconds, it should start to thicken. Set sauce aside.
For the chicken and shrimp
- Place peeled and deveined shrimp in a bowl along with the pieces of chicken. Add salt, black pepper, sesame seed oil, garlic, and onion powder and mix in.
- In a bowl add cornstarch and place the chicken and shrimp in the bowl and mix until the pieces are fully coated.
- In a deep bowl add the milk and egg then whisk very well.
- After coating chicken and shrimp pieces with cornstarch add them to the whisked egg mixture and mix until the batter coats all the pieces.
- In a frying pan add oil. Now the amount of oil depends on the type of pan you have. I would say fill the pan with oil up to 1 inch. Let it heat up to 300-350 degrees.
- Fry chicken pieces first. Please don’t flood the pan with the pieces, this will slow the frying process. Each batch should take no more than 5 mins to evenly fry. Bigger pieces vary. (chicken will fry quicker than the shrimp, this depends on the cut and size of the pieces)
Tips: Try to cut the chicken pieces evenly, they will help with frying.
- In a skillet or pan add oil to medium heat then add the chopped onion, bell pepper and **pineapple and sauté for around 5 mins and then add the chicken and shrimp and sweet and sour sauce and mix together. Allow the flavors and sauce to mix in.
- Serve over rice and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.