What can I say about this Sweet and Sour Chicken and Shrimp recipe other than the fact that it’s delicious? Sweet and Sour can be found at pretty much any Chinese restaurant. One of the most popular Chinese dishes for dine-in or take out. Well, now you have the opportunity to make this Sweet and Sour Chicken and Shrimp at home.
It was my first time making it and I nailed it. If you have any questions about the recipe just comment down below I’ll be happy to help you.
Sweet and Sour Chicken and Shrimp
- 6 pieces of shrimp
- 2 pieces of boneless chicken thighs cut in chunks
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 onions cut chunky
- 1/2 Bell pepper cut chunky
- 1/2 cup Pineapple chunks optional
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- Oil for frying
- Sesame seed to garnish optional
- Scallion chopped to garnish optional
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice preferably from the can
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp water
Start by creating the sweet and sour sauce
- In a saucepan add pineapple juice, brown sugar, rice vinegar, ketchup and soy sauce on medium heat.
- Stir until it comes to a boil.
- Mix the 1/2 tsp cornstarch with 1 tsp water in a small bowl then add it to the saucepan and mix well until cornstarch dissolves and blends in the sauce. Within a few seconds, it should start to thicken. Set sauce aside.
For the chicken and shrimp
- Place peeled and deveined shrimp in a bowl along with the pieces of chicken. Add salt, black pepper, sesame seed oil, garlic and onion powder and mix in the seasonings.
- In a zip lock bag add cornstarch and place the chicken and shrimp in the bag and mix until the pieces are fully coated. (You can do this in a bowl or on a plate whatever floats your boat)
- In a deep bowl add the egg and whisk very well.
- After coating chicken and shrimp pieces with cornstarch add them to the whisked egg and mix until the batter coats all the pieces.
- In a frying pan add oil. Now the amount of oil depends on the type of pan you have. I would say fill the pan with oil up to 1 inch. Let it heat up to 300-350 degrees.
- Fry chicken or shrimp pieces first. Please don’t flood the pan with the pieces, this will slow the frying process. Each batch should take no more than 5 mins to evenly fry. Bigger pieces vary.
Tips: Try to cut the chicken pieces evenly, they will help with frying.
- In a skillet or pan add oil to medium heat then add the chopped onion, bell pepper and **pineapple and sauté for around 5 mins and then add the chicken and shrimp and sweet and sour sauce.